As the saying goes, everyone’s home is their castle. As such, you always want your castle to look and be at its best. The roof is fundamental to the integrity of your home’s structure. And being its highest point, it gets the brunt of the force of nature: wind, rain, wind-driven rain, hail storms, and heavy snowfall. That is why the repair of your roof in Portland is vital in order to have it stand up to the region’s weather.
How Do You Know if You Need Roof Repair Portland?
As mentioned, many things affect the state of a roof. Yet, it is very important to be able to distinguish between a roof that is plainly old and tired-looking and one that is in imminent danger of collapsing. Here are five major red flags that indicate that your roof is no longer safe and needs replacing as soon as possible:
- It is sagging – A sagging roof changes its angles creating an excessive downward force which could cause pipes and electrical conduits to move as well, and threatens a collapse.
- It leaks – Although some water intrusion may be fixed with a patch, other leaks might be a sign of more widespread damage.
- Windows and doors that don’t function properly – This might signal that a structural shift has happened and should be addressed quickly.
- Ceilings that have buckled or are cracked – If you notice ripples, cracks or buckling in your home’s ceilings, it might be time to replace your roof.
- Cracks in the masonry – Although crumbling or cracking brickwork may be an indication of a wide range of issues, you should call a roofing expert to determine if your roof is at fault here and should be replaced.
Features to Look for in a New Roof:
Any amount of damage to the roof’s rafters and structural support can prevent it from serving its function as well as it must. Something else you should consider is how energy-efficient your roof is because by some estimates up to a 50% loss of the home’s energy can happen when the residence doesn’t have a good quality roof in Portland.
Quality and Beauty
Beauty is an added benefit of a good, functional roof which may also translate into added beauty for the entire home. Quality comes through the expertise of a reputable contractor and/or supplier. One such top-tier roofing expert is Giron Roofing Portland.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Roof in Portland?
Giron Roof in Portland considers there are many situations in which repairing the roof is not only possible but totally acceptable. Other conditions, however, may call for the entire replacement of the roof. Which route is taken depends on the overall condition of the roof and the opinion of an expert such as Giron Roof Portland to diagnose and decide on the best course of action.
Can You Roof Over an Existing Roof?
Giron Roof Portland hears this question on a regular basis and the reply is this: although at first glance the homeowner may see this as a good alternative, the reality is that opting to roof over an existing roof is similar to placing a band-aid on a problem that will still exist underneath.
Looking ahead, this will mean that getting rid of two layers of roof in the future will require more labor and turn out to be a greater expense. And this doesn’t consider the immediate issue of having added the extra weight to the old roof and the effect of that action on the structure of the home.
A new roof can drastically improve the aspect of a home. Boost your home’s beauty with a new roofing design by Giron Roofing in Portland. Give us a call today to schedule a free in-home consultation with a member of our team of roofing professionals, you’ll be glad you did.