Roof Replacement Portland
A roof replacement is one of the biggest home improvement projects you will ever encounter. It is also one of the most important. It is not hard to see why; the roof provides shelter, insulation, and protection from the elements. And since the elements in Portland can change radically with each season, that last attribute is of no small importance.
The roof is arguably the most important part of the house, so it is necessary that you know just why you might need a roof replacement, your options for a roof replacement, and what the process entails. One thing you should know right off the bat is that Giron roofing will take care of your roof replacement so that, once the new roof is up, you never have to worry about it again.
Why Does a Roof Need Replacing?
If you are experiencing problems with your roof, then, in some cases, it can simply be repaired. However, there are more serious issues that can warrant a complete and total replacement of the entire roof. Here are some of the signs that you need to look out for.
The Age of The Roof
Some roofs have a limited lifespan and once the roof reaches the end of its life, it needs to be replaced. Asphalt shingles, for example, can last for twenty to twenty-five years, so if your home is not brand new, then you need to find out the age of the roof so that you can know if a replacement is due. You should also find out if the current roof was installed over a previous roof; if the current roof is older than twenty years, then it will need replacing.
Check The Shingles
If the shingles are buckling or curling, or if many of them are missing altogether, then that is a surefire sign that you need a new roof. If you notice any of those signs during a close inspection of the roof, then that means you should contact a contractor about a roof replacement as soon as possible.
You should also look to see if granules from the roof end up in the gutter or downspout because granule loss is an indication that the roof is beginning to fail. Roof tiles that have experienced granule loss will have bald spots on their surface, so be on the lookout for that sign.
Look For Moss, Algae, or Lichen
The growth of these plants on the roof is not just unsightly, it can also indicate a deeper, underlying problem. Namely that moisture is trapped in the roof shingles and creating an environment that allows these invasive fungi to grow. The moss can be removed, but that does not address the greater problem of the moisture, a complete roof replacement is the only way to handle such a serious issue.
The Roof Sags
A visibly sagging roof or a roof that sags whenever anyone walks on it is another sign that there might be excessive moisture trapped in the roof. Only in this case, the problem is far more serious and could indicate that a roof collapse is imminent if the problem is not addressed quickly.
Damaged Roof or Chimney Flashing
The flashing is the material that is located around the base of the chimney, roof vents, skylights, or any other protrusions on the roof. The flashing creates a water-tight seal that prevents moisture from getting into the roof. If the flashing is damaged, then that means that its primary function is compromised and moisture could end up getting trapped in the roof and cause the problems outlined in the previous entries. Ideally, the flashing should be made of metal but some roofers use roof cement or tar, which eventually hardens and cracks, and lets in moisture.
Roof Replacement Options
There are many different options for a roof replacement, but the choices available to you depend on certain factors like price, locality, fire resistance, the roof pitch, and others. You need to consider all of those factors when selecting a new roofing material. These are some of the options available, you should consult with your roofing contractor to find out which ones are the best choice for your home.
- Asphalt Shingles – Popular for their low price and easy installation. However, they have a relatively short lifespan and are less attractive than other options. They are a good choice if you do not plan on living in the home for more than twenty years.
- Wood Shakes – An attractive and durable option but they have less fire-resistance and are more expensive than some of the other roofing materials.
- Slate – This is a handsome and very long-lasting option. It is also expensive and heavy. That latter attribute means that it is not suitable for a steeply pitched roof. Slate roofs can also be difficult to repair and susceptible to cracking when trodden upon.
- Metal Roofing – These can be made of steel or aluminum and are highly durable and fireproof. They can theoretically outlive the home on which they are installed. One thing to consider is that they are noisier than other roof types, which could be a problem if you live in a region that receives a lot of rain.
- Clay Tiles – This distinctive type of red roofing material is attractive and very durable. However, replacing tiles can be tricky because new tiles may not be an exact match to the rest of the roof tiles.
The Roof Replacement Process
The roof replacement process is fast and easy if you hire the right people to do it for you. You should note that during this process, you may need to stay somewhere else. The reason is that there will be a lot of disruption to your routine and that there won’t be a roof while the replacement is taking place. So, alternate accommodation should be factored into the replacement plan. The general process goes as follows.
- Tearing off the old roof: The old shingles are torn from off the roof and discarded, or if possible, recycled.
- Roof inspection and repair: Once the old material is removed, the roof needs to be closely and thoroughly examined. Any problems that led to the roof needing to be replaced should be fixed during this stage.
- Preparing the roof: This includes installing a new underlayment, a new drip edge, ice and water protection, and roofing felt.
- Installation of the new roofing material: Once the roof has been prepared, the new material that you chose is ready to be installed. Along with flashing, counter flashing, and other necessary apparatus.
- Final inspection: The new roof is carefully examined to make sure that there are no defects or imperfections and that it will last for a very long time.
Let Giron Roofing Handle Your Roof Replacement
At Giron Roofing, we know how important the roof is to the integrity of the home. That is why we are committed to providing the best roofing services in all of Portland. When you need a roof replacement, you can trust that we will get the job done right; you can trust that we will get the job done quickly so that your regular routine won’t be disrupted for too long. That is because your roof is as important to us as it is to you.