New Roof in Portland
As an Oregon homeowner, it is expected that general maintenance, as well as more major ones, have to be made on our homes –– everything from plumbing, interior design, lighting, flooring and even roofing. Having a sturdy, sound roof can protect you and your family from the elements, provide shelter, keep you cool (or warm during winter months), and safe from outside intruders. But just like many things, a good roof will reach the end of its life and a new one will be needed.
However, getting a new roof in Portland isn’t a small decision, or a cheap one either, so take the time to do your research on what kind of roof you want, what price point you are looking to stay in, and, of course, what roofing business you want to go with. Fortunately, we’ve got the basics done for you right here.
How Do I Know I Need a New Roof?
So, first big question –– how do I know I need a new roof?
Aside from some very obvious ones, like excessive leaking or damage that might have occurred due to hail or wind, there a few signs that you can look for such as:
- The neighbors are upgrading –– houses in the same neighborhood are all typically built around the same so if your neighbors are getting a new roof, then it might be time to do yours as well (and not just for keeping up with appearances either.)
- Your shingles are looking terrible –– go outside and take a look at your shingles. Are they cracked? Cupped? Worn? If they are, this can cause some major problems with moisture getting under the shingles and into the roof deck where it can cause leaks. Even more, the shingles lose their ability to reflect sunlight which can cause your home to get hotter and jack up your utility bill when you need to crank up the A/C.
- It’s reached the end of its life –– this one is kind of a given since even roofs won’t last forever. Depending on what kind of material is used, one can typically expect a roof to last anywhere between 10 to 30 years (between 30 and 60 years for metal and concrete roofs.)
Roof Types to Choose From
When deciding what kind of roofing you want on your Portland home, there are some factors one should consider like aesthetics, materials, longevity, and durability. So, what kind of roof types are there to choose from? While there are certainly a ton more than this, let’s go over a couple major ones.
If you are looking for a more classic feel to go with your Oregon home, 3-tab shingles are the way to go. These are some of the oldest types of composition roofing materials and also have a shorter life span compared to others (something to consider before you buy.) However, they do come in a range of colors so definitely give them a once-over as a choice.
If you want a more aesthetically pleasing, longer lasting roof style, then some quality cedar shakes or shingles are a must have. While they do gain a bad rep, because some homeowners lack the education to properly maintain a cedar roof, a properly maintained one can last up to 50 years.
What Can I Expect When Getting A New Roof?
There are a few things to think about prior to getting your new roof in Portland. We’ll even do you a favor and cover a few major questions that most homeowners have concerning a full roof installment.
- How long will it take? –– While a number of factors can influence the answer, an average roof replacement can take around 1-3 days.
- How much does it cost? –– For a full roof installment, it can cost around $9,645 (using Lake Oswego as an example.) A typical range is between $6,520 to $12,886, the low end is $1,500, and the high end is $29,600.
- How do I prepare for my Portland roof replacement? –– First, we would recommend staying away from the home while the new roof is being installed for safety reasons. Second, make sure to cover up any valuables and remove anything from the walls you don’t want ruined. Lastly, for your benefit and yours, make sure to thoroughly read your contract prior to service.
Hiring A Professional Roofer in Oregon
Whether your roof has gone through some major damage or your roof has reached the end of its rope, you need someone you can trust to install your new roof safely, efficiently, and at a price point that works best for you. At Giron Roofing, we can make your home look stunning and raise its value with a gorgeous new roof that will wow the neighbors and make you a proud Portland homeowner with a roof to match the neighborhood. Give us a call today for your free estimate!